Argentina Travel Update
Borders Are Open to International Travelers!
We are thrilled to let you know that the Argentine government opened its borders to our international friends on November 1.
The official decree states that international travelers may enter Argentina with proof of a full Covid vaccination and a negative PCR test within 72 hours of arrival. Additional testing during one’s stay in the country is no longer required. For those interested, we have included a translated version of the decree below.
As we have seen since March of 2020, the Covid 19 pandemic created a complex and fluid situation for international and domestic travel. After many months of darkness, there is now a very bright light at the end of this long tunnel and now we are happily able to once again welcome our friends back to Patagonia.
As we transition through this reopening phase, we will continue to update this page as well as communicate travel updates on our social media pages and email newsletter. If you haven't done so already, be sure also to follow El Encuentro Fly Fishing on Instagram and Facebook, and sign up for our monthly newsletter at the bottom of this page.
As in all our earlier Travel Updates, here are the 4 fundamental questions we continue to ask -- from the perspective of an international traveler such as you, our extended family of El Encuentro friends.
1. Can you currently enter Argentina?
- The current decree opens Argentine borders to international travelers on November 1, 2021. Read an English translation of the full decree below.
- Proposed travel requirements include:
- Proof of Vaccination and a Negative PCR test within 72 hours before time of travel.
- Those who do not present a complete vaccination scheme must quarantine and perform a PCR on the seventh day of admission. If the result is negative, the quarantine/isolation ends.
- Minors who have not completed the complete vaccination schedule. They may enter Argentina and will be exempted from carrying out the quarantine. Minors included in the above mentioned situation are recommended not to participate in group activities or attend group or mass events during the first SEVEN (7) days upon arrival to Argentina
- COVID-19 Medical Travel Insurance, with coverage of hospitalization services, isolation and / or medical transfers.
- A Sworn Statement (Declaracion jurada) within 48 prior to arrival. This is the link to complete the form DECLARACIÓN JURADA | DNM
2. Once in Argentina, can you travel to the Chubut Province, and ultimately reach the El Encuentro Flyfishing Lodges?
3. Having reached the El Encuentro Lodge, Valle del Carrileufu or Brook Trout Basecamp, can you move around freely and access all the wonderful Patagonia fly fishing that you traveled so far for?
4. Can you return home after your trip?
- Yes !
- The US, at this time, requires an antigen test prior to your return to the US. El Encuentro can provide this test for you (cost is $50/test). Be sure to check your country’s requirements.
English Translation of the Official Decree
International Travelers Must Meet the Following Health Requirements:
- Have completed the vaccination schedule at least FOURTEEN (14) days before entering the country. The persons shall record said end in the sworn statement required by the NATIONAL DIRECTORATE OF MIGRATIONS, a decentralized body acting in the sphere of the INTERIOR SECRETARIAT of the MINISTRY OF THE INTERIOR. DELETE THIS??? YES!
- For this purpose, a complete vaccination schedule is the one defined by the health authorities of the country of vaccination.
- Have a negative PCR test performed in the country of origin within SEVENTY-TWO (72) hours prior to the start of the trip.
- Persons vaccinated with a complete schedule and tested negative will be exempted from performing a quarantine
- Foreigners need to have ONE (1) COVID-19 health insurance, with coverage of hospitalization services, isolation and / or medical transfers, for those who result in positive cases, suspects or close contacts. IS THIS LITERALLY AN INSURANCE POLICY OR SOMETHING MORE LIKE A QUARANTINE “PLAN” (AS REQUIRED BY CANADA) WE NEED TO BE VERY CLEAR ABOUT THIS REQUIREMENT!! - It is a Health insurance. Medical assistance or Global Rescue have plans according to the requirements of the Argentine government. The Health insurance should cover any Covid related hospitalizations, transfers
- Minors (those under 18 years of age at time of entry) who have not yet completed the vaccination schedule may enter Argentina and will be exempted from needing to quarantine. Minors included in this situation are encouraged not to engage in group activities or attend group or mass events during the first SEVEN (7) days of their arrival in the country.
What to expect next
- We will update you as soon as we have an updated schedule for internal flights between Buenos Aires and Esquel and/or Bariloche.
- Please let us know if you would be interested in learning more about the private charter flights we will be offering our guests.
Covid testing at El Encuentro
- Testing is a part of the world we now live in, and will likely be a part of any travel requirements for the foreseeable future.
- We have secured the services of a local biotech lab (owned and operated by a dear friend and member of the El Encuentro extended family) to administer and process tests at El Encuentro. This will allow us to provide the necessary testing to meet the 5-7 day test required by Argentina, as well as any testing needed for your return trip home.
- Additionally, should the need arise at any other time during your stay in Patagonia you will have access to fast reliable testing.
Protect your Investment with Trip Insurance and Travel Booking Services
We are thrilled to partner with Kanna Travel, a US-based, full-service travel agency whose team of seasoned professionals offers international ticketing, trip insurance, and emergency evacuation solutions for fly fishing and hunting travel. This partnership will allow El Encuentro Fly Fishing to offer our friends access to the industry’s finest travel insurance products, that can include a “cancel for any reason” rider, as well as comprehensive international travel booking services to help you navigate schedule changes and other potential complications.
When you book a trip with El Encuentro Fly Fishing we want you to know that we have your back. Click Here to read more about Trip Insurance and Travel Booking Services.
Still Have Questions? We Are Here!
This is a dynamic situation with complex variables changing rapidly, often times without prior notice. The El Encuentro Family has deep roots throughout Argentina. We are the oldest lodge in our region with a vast network of partners developed over decades of operating in Patagonia. We are in constant contact with colleagues, associates, suppliers, and officials on the ground here in Argentina.
Please feel free to contact us anytime with questions, or to chat about how and when to start planning your next trip to Patagonia.